03 May 2014

Diving the Little Coral Knoll with Luis and Leo

I didn't dive Friday.  Didn't want to dive Friday.  But I met the guys on Saturday morning, except we didn't park where we usually do.  Instead of being by the main opening, we were at the next shower to the South.  Rather than swim to the Big Rock and take a known bearing to the Little Knoll, we swam due East off the beach at the opening half-way between Towers 14 & 15.  We were lost before we began.

We descended and ended up at the Porthole Rocks, which I recall being well South of the Knoll.  That was the last landmark I recognized during the entire dive, and I barely remember that from 3 or 4 years ago.  Not that it was a bad dive, but we were lost.  Totally and completely lost.  Towards the end of the dive, I gave up and surfaced to see where we were and we were South of the B Ocean.  Luis hung out in the shallows and made a 2 hour dive.  I might have, but I was cold so I just got out.

We spent a little over an hour warming up, then made a second dive. This time, we swam to the swim buoy, found the Big Rock and swam 150 degrees to the Little Coral Knoll.  Spent almost all of the dive at the Knoll or very nearby.  It was just nice knowing where we were.  Nice dive.

I got this picture of a French Angelfish near the Big Rock
 and this picture of a Stoplight Parrotfish under the Big Rock.
When we got to the Knoll, I got this picture of a Bicolor Damselfish
and this Harlequin Bass
I love this shot of an Orange Spotted Filefish.  You can actually see the orange spots.
 These two Yellow Jacks kept checking to see if we had killed anything they might share.

Found this Yellow Sand Ray on the way back to the beach.

Same with this Saddled Blenny.


Nice Dive.  Leo and I managed 124 minutes.  Luis got out early as he had a short fill tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment