30 April 2014

Solo Dive on the Big Coral Knoll

I had wanted to get to the beach by 6:00 am, so I could get two dives in before the Lifeguards took to the Towers. Unfortunately, it was still dark then and I just could not get motivated.  Instead, I got to the beach at 8:30 am.  Got geared up and swam out to the concrete blocks.  I descended, then headed up the gun sight to Irish Thighs and then the Cigar Rock.



Ran into a Green Sea Turtles and got some pictures, then continued on up to the Gray Mid-way Rock.  I had considered heading South to the Lost Knoll, but decided against it because of the moderate current and the distance involved.




Instead, I went with the current to the Big Coral Knoll and made several circles of the Knoll.  Photographed this Spanish Grunt,





this Bluestriped Grunt,




 this White Grunt,




this Scrawled Cowfish,




 and these Sailors Choices.


 Also got this shot of an Initial Phase Redband Parrotfish, who looks as if he is enjoying a hearty belly laugh.


Finally, I got this shot of a Lantern Bass.



Nothing truly unusual on the Knoll and visibility was not good, but I got some pictures and did really well on air usage.  My RVM was .39 ft3/minute and my total dive time was 139 minutes.  Thats my longest dive so far this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment