01 May 2014

Solo Dive on the Ledge of Turtles

I had intended to get to the beach around 6:00 am to be in the water by 6:30 am so I could be out and warming up by 8:30.  Didn't quite work out that way.  I got to the beach at 8:45 am, set up my tank and suit, then decided to set up my camera only to discover I had left it at home.  Surf was up and visibility was terrible, so just as well.  In the water I discovered that my computer was set to "gauge," which is not what I normally have it set on.  A minor problem, but shows my head was not in the dive.

I swam on the surface to the Rock Pile and landed right on it, though I could not see it from the surface.  I swam up the reef, but overcompensated for the current.  I spotted a large brain coral I had seen before and knew that the Mid-way Rock and Turtle Rock were N E, so I swam over to them and then swam to the Ledge.  Since I had no camera, though, I did not just hang with the fish on the Ledge.  Instead, I headed East to find the Nipple Rock and Shark's Rock.  I found neither.  Went all the way to the sand East of the reef and then ended up way South as I was heading back to the beach. I swam North along the edge of the reef to find the Rock Pile, then stayed there until I made 2 hours.  Then with about 300 psi showing, I headed to the beach.  I didn't suck the tank dry, but I came close and got another 8 minutes of dive time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment