04 May 2014

Luis and I dive the Big Coral Knoll

It was raining and very windy when I walked the dog early this morning.  I almost sent Luis an email canceling the dive.  I am so glad I did not do that.  Although the Eastern horizon was black and threatening when we got to the beach, the sun came out.  The dive was a little cold:  fresh cold rain water on top of the salt water.  Air temperature was in the mid-70's and the wind was chilly.  We got in at the blocks and made a leisurely trek up to the Mid-Way Rock, then over to the Perpendicular Rocks, the Swept Rock and the Knoll.

Spotted this Purplemouth Moray Eel just after the Cigar Rock.













I spotted a Green Sea Turtle on the Knoll when I got there.  Looked like he was just waking up.












Got some good shots, but the turtle got spooked when Luis joined us.






Got some shots of this Juvenile Creole Wrasse


Spotted this Spanish Lobster just motoring along over the reef.  Quickly took this shot.
He sort of high centered on this Great Star Coral and both Luis and I got some good pictures while he posed for us.
 Got a shot of this Spotted Scorpionfish after a big yawn.  Too bad I wasn't paying closer attention and got a shot down his gullet.


The little Green Turtle came back and I got this shot of Luis getting his picture.
 I also got a nice shot of this Cymothoid Isopod attached to a Doctorfish.

On the way back to the beach, we went by the Perpendicular Rocks and spotted this Nurse Shark catching a nap.


Luis had a short fill from Hugh, but he did just fine on the dive. We left the Knoll at 1000 psi and ended up at the blocks at about 500 psi.  we killed a little time, then spotted some more Green Turtles and got pictures.  Then we headed in.  Made a 125 minute dive.  Not bad for a short tank.  Sure was nice to have my D6i working.

No comments:

Post a Comment