12 May 2011

Diving with Billy Yates

I got to the beach at 8:00 am, geared up and got in the water. I went out on the sand, but surfaced over the reef to discover that the current had set me considerably to the North. I swam back on the bearing and descended again. This time, I compensated for the current, but found a turtle and swam off-bearing to get some video of the turtle swimming. Notwithstanding this detour, I ended up at the Fish Camp Rocks and got some video of a nurse shark. I then swam over to the Furry Rock, then over to the Big Coral Knoll. Found some eels, I felt pretty confident I could find my way again.

Billy Yates and his German friend, Robin, were carrying their gear down the beach as I was coming out of the water. I stalled a bit until my parking stub ran out and I could post more time. Then we all geared up and swam out on the surface. Robin was not a fan. We descended just short of the reef. I tried to keep on a 90 degree course, but we somehow got the the Eastern edge of the reef without seeing either the Fish Camp Rocks or the Furry Rock. I headed South along the ledge and turned West when Robin was down below 1500 psi. We saw some Cowfish and Smooth Trunkfish, but I did not get any spectacular shots. We saw no nurse shark and no turtles. I was disappointed, but Billy and Robin both claimed to have enjoyed themselves, but they were not interested in a second dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment