27 August 2019

Tuesday, 27 August 2019 Dive on the Yankee Clipper Jacks

Ms. Martha
I got up at 4:00 am this morning and finished editing some pictures from yesterday. Walked the dog then got Martha up at 6:00 am. We left for the beach at 6:30 am, but I discovered that I had left my neoprene behind, so I left Martha's gear with her on the beach and drove back to get my shorts and sleeveless top. That was One.

A single Jack





I got back to the beach before the Mos got there, but they were not far behind. I carried Martha's gear to the water, which was a long way on this beach. I carried the gear over one shoulder. Then I walked back to the truck and set up my gear, put it on and headed to the beach with my camera. I turned the camera on to get a shot of the lamp post and the chimney I use as a bearing. The camera was unable to read the compact flash card. That was Two.



Smallmouth Grunt (Haemulon chrysargyreum)

I returned to the truck, lowered the tailgate and opened the camera to see what the problem was. Everything looked in place, so I pulled the flash drive out and re-inserted it. This time it worked. So I closed up the camera and again headed to the beach. Walked in with the Mos and moved toward deeper water. I stopped to put my fins on and found that I could not sink. I was positively buoyant. I then discovered that I had forgotten to insert my weight packets into my BCD. This was number Three.

Porcupinefish (Diodon hystrix) 


I had always been taught that if there were three errors or gear failures you should call the dive. Too many errors suggests early on suggests that there will be more. But the water was flat and warm and the sky was clear. I wanted to dive, so I walked back and got my weights and then swam as fast as I could trying to catch up to Martha and the Mos.





Redband Parrotfish (Sparisoma aurofrenatum) 




I stayed on my 100-degree bearing, keeping the lamp post straddling the narrow part of the chimney on the firehouse. Before I knew it, I was on the 3-tiered reef. Martha and the Mos were to the SW. They swam back to meet me and I spotted a familiar landmark.





Atlantic Spadefish (Chaetodipterus faber) 
  We descended and followed the single or double Jacks to the NW until we found the West end of the Jacks. From that point, we sort of split up, everyone moving East along the row of Jacks but with Martha and I on the South side of the Jacks and the Mos on the North side.


Fighting French Grunts (Haemulon flavolineatum)

























I really like this triology of French Grunts.  In the first two shots the fish are actively engaged in their struggle but the third shot reflect that moment when the struggling fish might ask themselves why they would want to struggle. What is the point?











Bottom time was 93 minutes at a maximum depth of 24.7 feet. My SAC was 17.11 and the RMV was 0.44 cubic feet/minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment