23 May 2019

Wednesday, 10 April 2019

Martha and I dive the Big Coral Knoll


Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) 



Martha and I left the house about 7:35 am for Tower 17 and a dive on the Big Coral Knoll and the Fish Camp Rocks without students. I took my camera. We got a good parking spot behind Tower 17 and geared up. We got in the water a little after 8:00 am swam out past the buoy line to descend at 8:35 am.











Juvenile Blackear Wrasse (Halichoeres poeyi)



Visibility was good: at least 20 ft. I had some problems with the switch on the strobe battery. The Ready Light would be on but the strobe would not fire. I think it was just a bad connection in the battery switch because I played with it and it settled down after about 20 minutes.


Juvenile Queen Angelfish (Holacanthus ciliaris)



Missed the blocks, in part because the buoy immediately to our North has been missing. Without it, I can't know where to descend. We swim due East and usually run into some landmark I recognize. This time, it was the
coral head with a head, which leads to some larger rocks and ultimately the Perpendicular Rocks. From there we sent North to the Swept Rock and were on the Knoll.


Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas)



Early in the dive I spotted a young Green Turtle. Martha was on the other side of the Knoll and I couldn't get her attention without losing the turtle so I went up hoping she would see me following the turtle, but she didn't.






Striped Burrfish (Chilomycterus schoepfi)




Shot a lot of pictures and got some good shots. including these two shots of a Striped Burrfish.


Water was 77 degrees according to my computer, but I was cold. We turned the dive at 1000 psi and swam back to the beach.



Striped Burrfish (Chilomycterus schoepfi)

Dive time was 100 minutes, maximum depth was 21 feet and bottom temperature was 77 degrees. My SAC was 18.04 psi /minute and my RMV was 0.47 cubic feet per minute.

My pictures from this time are posted at the following link:  10 April 2019_Big Coral Knoll





No comments:

Post a Comment