22 May 2019

Tuesday, 26 March 2019

Martha and I dive the Yankee Clipper Jacks




Martha and I got up late, again. Left the apartment at 7:45 am and got to the beach by 8:00 am.  Geared up and got in the water by 8:30 and got to the three-tiered reef about 30 minutes later.


Yellowtail Damselfish (Micropathodon chrysurus)







We descended and swam due East spotting single or double jacks scattered about, then came to the beginning of the Yankee Clipper Jacks. Martha took the South side of the jacks and I swam along the North.  I could see her bubbles most of the way, but went over the top of the Jacks twice to see that she was okay.



Doctorfish (Acanthurus chirurgus)


As we got to the East end of the Jacks, there was a boat that had dropped its anchor on the North side of the Jacks while it drifted to the South side. Brand new anchor and pretty white anchor line, all waiting to get fouled.




Nurse Shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum)






Saw and photographed a Nurse Shark that crossed over the Jacks to swim with me on the North side. Nothing out of the ordinary but graceful in the water.




Caribbean Spiny Lobster (Panulirus argus)





Martha didn't have any better luck gathering shells. Although the computer said the temperature was 77 degrees, I was colder much of the dive and saw 74 on the screen twice.

Did get the picture to the left of a lobster.





Sand Diver (Synodus intermedius)




Martha spotted a small Nurse shark under the Jacks on the North side on the way back, but I could not get a shot. Did get this photo of a Sand Diver.






Yellowfin Mojarra (Gerres cinereus)



As we swam to the exit I saw and photographed the Yellowfin Mojarra to the left





Left the Jacks with about 700 psi and swam to the beach. Ran out of air just shy of the buoy line, but it was an easy swim to the beach. threw my fins up on the beach as I was getting out. Martha tried to throw hers, too, but failed. I reached to grab one of the fins and fell. I was almost out of the water, though and without the fins, so I managed to stand up and walk out.


Dive time was 105 minutes, maximum depth was 24.5 feet and the bottom temperature was 77 degrees. My SAC was 18.03 psi per minute and the RMV was 0.47 cubic feet per minute.

My pictures from this dive are available at the following link:  26 March 2019 Yandee Clipper Jacks

No comments:

Post a Comment