20 May 2019

Monday, 4 March 2019

Martha and I dive on the Yankee Clipper Jacks

Balloonfish (Diodon holocanthus)

Martha and I got to the beach while there was plenty of parking available, but I left my neoprene shorts hanging in the shower. I borrowed hers. We parked just South of Tower 2 and the playground.










We decided to go to the Yankee Clipper Jacks. We last dove the Jacks on 21 September 2017 and I didn't remember how to get there or where to park. We ended up one opening too far South, but I finally figured that the sight line was the first light pole South of the opening and the Southern edge of the chimney on the fire station.







The water was calm and we held our bearing well. Found the Three-tiered reef and descended near a single Jack. Headed East and found two more Jacks and then six more and finally the beginning of the Jacks. We literally swam right to them.






Hermit Crab
Martha went on one side of the Jacks and I swam on the other as we headed NE. I found a small Hermit Crab and lost her trail of bubbles while I got some shots of the crab. I had to surface to find the flag and it took me a while to catch up to her.




Nurse Shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum)





She had stopped at the end of the Jacks and was simply waiting for me to get there. We turned and swam back SW along the Jacks.
Nurse Shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum)















We saw a couple of Nurse Sharks swimming peacefully along the Jacks.











I found a large crab that was resting quietly in the open because, as it turns out, it was dead. Got some pictures, but was unable to identify the crab using the Humann and DeLoach books. Also discovered that Martha had staged it so I would find it.


Spotted Trunkfish (Lactophrys bicaudalis)




We surfaced at the buoy line and swam to the beach. I carried my camera, my fins and the flag and walked slowly out of the water and onto the beach. One of my better exits.

Yellowtail Snapper (Ocyurus chrysurus)








Dive time was 99 minutes, maximum depth was 25.0 feet and the bottom temperature was 77 degrees. My Surface Air Consumption rate was 17.85 psi per minute and my RMV was  0.46 cubic feet per minute.

Check out my pictures on this dive, which are posted at the following link:  4 March 2019_Yankee Clipper Jacks











No comments:

Post a Comment