19 March 2015

Found some Post-Larval Squid off the Yankee Clipper Jacks

Had planned to make a night dive or two first thing this morning, and even woke up in time to do so, but after ruining at least one of my Intova lights two mornings ago, I decided to sleep in instead. Got to the beach about 8:15 am and read American Outlaw for a while before gearing up and getting in the water.

Once in the water, I swam on the surface out past the swim buoys. The water was so clear and there was no evidence of any current, so I descended. Early in the dive, while still on the Algae Patch, I spotted two post larval squid. I got pictures. One appeared green, the other appeared transparent with a black outline. That was exciting.

 Kept going East off the Algae Patch, across the sand and along the bottom of the 3-tiered reef to 25 feet of water, where I spotted and photographed a Purplemouth Moray Eel in a tire.

Then I came up for a surface interval. On the surface, I was much farther North than I expected, so I swam South a bit.

Water temperature was 75 degrees; dive time was 51 minutes; consumption was 28.75 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet; SAC rate was 18.24 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

After my surface interval, I descended to 25 feet and then swam South towards the Jacks. I was running low on air, however, and decided to swim SW so that I would have the 1200 psi I needed to get to the beach from the West end of the Jacks. I got a shot of a Bearded Fireworm swimming over the 3-tiered reef,

Got this photo of two French Angelfish over the Algae Patch on the way back.
Found this Pederson Shrimp near a Corckscrew Anemone and got a good shot.  Then I swam to the beach. I had just enough air to make the beach. I shut down the camera and slowly surfaced. got the flag line under control and swam to the beach.

Water temperature was 75 degree; dive time was 52 minutes; consumption was 28.08 psi/minute at an average depth of 16 feet; my SAC rate was 18.91 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

I got to the truck and rinsed the camera and put it away, I repacked my dive bag but I left my pants, hooded vest and jacket on the side of the truck to dry out. Unfortunately, I left them on the side of the truck during the drive home and my pants were not in the truck when I got there. Not doing well, flooded the lights and drove off without my pants in two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment