17 March 2015

Another Night Dive early in the morning off the South Beach parking lot

Took fewer than 7 minutes to get to the beach from my apartment at 5:00 am. I geared up, set up the camera and got in the water. Swam out to the Algae Patch before I remembered that the two intova lights I brought with me had not been properly closed. One was flooded and died, but the other worked so I closed it well and descended. Tide was still coming in and I had to crawl East. Got some pictures, including this shot of a Banded Puffer,

 This shot of a Wideband Tube-Dwelling Anemone,
 a Flamefish,
a Sharpnose Puffer perched on a sponge


 a small colony of Sun Anemone,

and a Banded Tube-Dwelling Anemone.






Water temperature was 76 degrees; dive time was 52 minutes; consumption was 30.77 psi/minute at an average depth of 16 feet; SAC rate was 20.72 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.



I swam Southeast during the surface interval and descended to 22 feet. The incoming tide was no longer the major force, The South current had taken control. Found and photographed a Purplemouth Moray Eel on the way back to the beach. Got to the white sand before the beach and swam North to where I wanted to exit, then swam West. Surfaced in 8 feet of water as the sun was rising and the tourists lining the beach were capturing the moment with their cell phone cameras and flashes.

Water temperature was 76 degrees; dive time was 63 minutes; consumption was 21.43 psi/minute at an average depth of 15 feet; SAC rate was 14.73 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

I got out and found that my flooded light had water in the LED area. Can't be good. I dried off and tried to warm up, but the surface temperature was still in the low 70's. It warmed up some as the sun rose higher, but I left at 9:30 when I still was not ready for another dive but the Lifeguards would take to the Towers soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment