01 June 2011

Diving Solo on the Ledge of Turtles

I did not dive on Monday or Tuesday. I made 60 dives in May. That's enough. But today is Wednesday and its been a while since I've been in the water and I want to go diving. I get up early, but play with the dogs. I get to the beach around 7:30 am and get the first spot behind Tower 20. I want to dive the Ledge of Turtles.

The wind is from the East and fairly strong, maybe 12-14 knots. There is a small surf, so it hasn't been blowing all night. I swim out to the railing and change course to 100 degrees, but visibility is poor and I miss the Ledge. I stay on 100 degrees and end up at the Shark Rocks. I get oriented then come back at 270 degrees and find the Ledge. There is a little Green Turtle there. I get some pictures and then head back to the railing. I run into a Hawksbill and spend some time getting pictures of that turtle, then continue towards the railing. I miss it, but not by much and I quickly find it running a short U-Pattern search. Then I go to the beach to dry off, drink some coffee and change tanks.

I get back in the water after 15 mintues. Plenty of time to get to the reef before the lifeguards go on duty. This time, I head 120 from the railing and I get to the Ledge of Turtles. The Green turtle is there, but wary. He lets me swim with him some, but soon leaves the reef, only to return when he thinks I am otherwise occupied. Poor visibility generally, but it is nice to get back in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment