17 June 2020

20200617_Swiss Cheese Reef

 Martha and I got up about 5:30 am. I walked Mia, prepared the camera and housing, and packed the Jeep. We drove down to the beach and I called Sue Chalmers to let her know that we would be diving off Tower 4 because the City had shut the water off at the other showers. Sue arrived at 7:40 am just as we were getting in the water, so we went first. 


We swam out to the buoy line and descended at 8:00 am. We did not find either the buoy or the blocks. Sue caught up to us 10 minutes later. We did find the Wrap Around Ledge and I got a shot of an Ocean Surgeonfish (Acanthurus bahianus) in the cutout on the Eastern edge of the Ledge. 






 Also got some shots of a Sergeant Major (Abudefduf saxatilis)


and White Grunt (Haemulon plumierii). 

We swam East over the ledge and the rubble then headed for the Rock Line, but ended up North of the boulders.  We went East and followed the reef line South on the large sand flat. 

We explored the sand flat for a bit then headed South and West to the Swiss Cheese Reef where we found a small school of Almaco Jacks (Senola nvoliana).   

Sue swam in and around us throughout the dive, but kept to herself. 

Martha found a large shiny Cowry Shell and I found one much smaller.

We swam South along the reef and spotted this Caribbean Spiny Lobster (Panulirus argus). We also found the Sectioned Rock which is my landmark for turning West to find the Staghorn Coral Forest.

                                                                  

The Staghorn coral builds up as you can see in this photo of a Striped Parrotfish (Scarus iserti). One layer grows on another and the all manner of little crabs, blenys and other marine life come to call it home.  

From the Staghorn coral we swam South and West to the sand flat and the Rock Line, across the Wrap Around Ledge and West to the beach. 

On the way back to the beach, a Whitefin Sharksucker (Echeneis neucratoides), began trailing me and looking for a good place to attach. I'd shoe him away and then Martha would shoe him back. A large Tarpon came close to us, and the sharksucker hitched a ride on him. I did not get a picture of that Tarpon.

Sue got out of the water on her own and was at the shower when Martha and I surfaced at 9:44 am. We were well past the buoy line and easily swam to the beach on the surface.

I fell trying to get over the step on the beach and ended up crawling out on the water on my belly. Martha waited patiently for some help and a fellow walking along the beach came to her aid.  Nice dive, but it would have been better if I had kept my bearings.  

Our dive time was 104 minutes at a maximum depth of 20 feet. My actual consumption rate was  22.60 psi/minute; my SAC was 15.22 psi/minute and my Residual Minute Volume was .39 cubic feet/minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment