05 March 2015

Diving the Tower 2 Algae Patch

Keep thinking I'm going to make a night dive early in the morning, but somehow I just can't get going early enough. Got to the beach just at 8:00 am. Read just a bit, then geared  up and got in the water. Decided not to take the camera this morning as I expected the visibility to be worse today than yesterday. Visibility was, in fact, terrible near the beach but opened up to about 8 feet once I got off the  algae patch. Still, it was nasty out and not a lot of interesting fish in sight. I spent most of the dive looking for shells on the sand.

Water temperature was 75 degrees; dive time was 60 minutes; consumption was 22.28 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet; SAC rate was 14.14 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

Really choppy on the surface. I was farther North than I expected and spent the surface interval swimming South at the surface. After 5 minutes, I descended to the reef, then swam out to 21 feet on the sand. Felt a little light in the surge, which had picked up. I could get down by exhaling, but it took a while. I had made 60 minutes on the first dive and wanted to make 60 minutes on this second dive, but I used more air on this dive than the first, and I didn't have enough air to begin with to make a  hour dive.

Spent most of the time looking for a Gaudy Natica, but finding other things. Came up in 10 feet of water and swam into the beach. Lots of undertow and a very challenging bottom with peaks and valleys. I got hit by a wave from behind as I was scaling a small mound of sand in shallow water. I turtled and had to push out to deeper water to get up. Used the undertow to get out while on my back. Second attempt was much better.

Water temperature was 75 degrees; dive time was 51 minutes; consumption was 24.31 psi/minute at an average depth of 16 feet; SAC rate was 15.37 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment