06 March 2015

More Dives on the Algae Patch off Tower 2

Woke up at 3:30 am and could have gotten to the beach by 5:00 am, but I didn't. Cooked breakfast, set up the camera, took the dog for a walk and then it was 7:00 am. I loaded the truck, shaved and got to the beach by 8:00 am and in the water by 8:30 am. Sunny day and dead calm at the beach. Of course, I forgot the camera.

I went hunting shells and explored the sand South of our usual path. Visibility was good, but there still wasn't much to see. Did see a moderate sized school of Ocean Surgeonfish and another of Porkfish, but just the usual reef fish. It was cold on the bottom. At an hour, I went up to warm up on the surface.

Water temperature was 73 degrees; dive time was 60 minutes; consumption was 23.78 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet; SAC rate was 15.09 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

The top 10 feet of water was decidedly warmer than the bottom. I actually warmed up some during the surface interval. I also got myself positioned just East of where I entered the water. Then I descended and hunted shells again, this time heading North.

I turned and moved a little West and then came back. By this time, I was down to 1000 psi, so I headed West towards the beach. Moved slowly, but constantly. While the visibility was good on this dive, there was not much to be seen that was unusual. Not many of the usual fish, either. I seemed to have trouble staying down at the end of the dive, but stretched it out to 62 minutes.

Water temperature still 73 degrees; dive time was 62 minutes; consumption was 26.13 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet; SAC rate was 16.91 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment