06 January 2015

Solo Dive on the Little Coral Knoll

Up early to a gorgeous morning. Got to the park before 8:00 am and had to wait in line for the park to open. Geared up and walked around, but I was swimming out by 8:30 am and descended at 8:44 am well beyond the swim buoy. Water was hazy when I first got in, but got worse as the wind picked up.  I had some trouble finding the Big Rock, but finally did.  Swam to the smaller rock, the knee-high coral and two dead looking sea rods and the went South to the counter-weight. From there, I swam 130 degrees past the stark rod, the gateway, the green and red coral and then I spotted the tipped over coral head on the NE side of the knoll.  I could easily have swum past. I took pictures and hung out.
 Butter Hamlet
Caribbean Spiny Lobster
 Juvenile Queen Angelfish
 Saddled Blenny
 Sailor's Choice
Spotted Goatfish
Striped Parrotfish with Porkfish in the background














When I got down to 1000 psi, I headed back, except that I missed the counter-weight and ended up to far North past the Sand Sea. Swam West toward the beach, hoping to recognize something, but never did.  Got into 10 feet of water and still had lots of air, so I went back East, and spotted two sea rods that looked familiar, then turned North and found the Big Rock.

Water temperature was 76 degrees; Dive Time was 131 minutes; consumption rate was 24.73 psi/minute at 21 feet; SAC rate was 16 psi/minute; RMV was 0.41 ft3/minute.  

No comments:

Post a Comment