10 January 2015

Diving the Yankee Clipper Jacks with Luis

I decided, based on yesterday's visibility and currents, not to take my camera this morning. Big mistake. Visibility was so much better today. Luis found a star fish. We don't see many of these. We moved a bit to the North so we had a long swim to the Jacks when we finally turned. After turning, I spotted a baby Flounder on the sand, but it successfully escaped from me. On the Jacks, Luis also found a Spotted Cleaner Shrimp next to a Giant Anemone. We turned the dive at about 50 minutes when each of us reached half a tank. We swam West along the South side of the Jacks. I left the Jacks at 1,100 psi and sucked my tank dry before surfacing just past the swim buoy.

Water temperature was 75 degrees; Dive Time was 90 minutes; consumption rate was 28.59 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet; SAC was 18.14 psi and my MRV was 0.47 ft3/minute.

Took a while to warm up for our second dive, but the sun felt really good. We geared up and this time we took our cameras, then walked to the water and got in. I wanted to swim out farther so we would have more time on the Jacks with the cameras.  We got out almost to the sand, and went down.  We swam East, but we did not get set to the North and I never found the Star fish. Too bad. Luis did find the Spotted Cleaner Shrimp, once we got to the Jacks. I got several pictures.

Spotted Cleaner Shrimp in front of a Giant Anemone on the Jacks















This second dive was a slightly longer dive, but not as interesting as the first dive, or maybe it just seemed that way because I left my camera behind on the first dive. I did get these other pictures:

 Bicolor Damselfish
Black Spotted Feather Duster
Bluestriped Grunt
Translucent hermit crab
 Intermediate Gray Angelfish
a small portion of the Yankee Clipper Jacks
 Sergeant Major
Orange Spotted Filefish
Townsend Angelfish














Luis took the flag, so I had a pretty easy time getting out of the water.

Water temperature was 75 degrees; Dive Time was 96 minutes; consumption was 30.45 psi/minute at 20 ft average depth; SAC was 18.96 psi/minute and the RMV was 0.49 ft3/ minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment