02 April 2014

Solo Dive on the Big Coral Knoll

I thought about going to Tower 20 so I might make a second dive, but since I have a meeting at 1:00 pm, I decided to just dive the Big Coral Knoll and then fill tanks.  So I drove to Tower 17, parked, geared up and got in the water. I swam out to the concrete blocks and descended.  As I set up my camera, I watched a little Sailfin Blenny pop out of this hole and wave his large fin in a dance that lasted about 20 seconds then dive back in his hole.

I got my camera ready and laid on the bottom waiting for him to do it again, but he wouldn't.  He just poked his head out of the hole and looked around.  I waited for 5 minutes and gave up.  I swam up the gunsight to the Gray Mid-way Rock, then over to the Perpendicular Rocks, the Swept Rock and then the Knoll.

As I approached the Knoll, I spotted a Green Sea Turtle. I swam behind him for a little bit so he would get used to me, then drifted towards him and got this shot.

On the South Eastern edge of the Knoll, I found these two Damselfish squaring off.  I watched for over a minute as they stared at each other, broke off and came back to stare some more.  They never touched one another and never went mouth-to-mouth like the French Grunts, perhaps because their mouths are so small.

In the center of the Knoll, I spotted this little Nudibranch.  Really needed a + 10 diopter to get a good shot of this guy.

I thought this was an interesting shot of a Scrawled Filefish.  I had forgotten how thin they are.

This shot is a French Grunt seeking a dental cleaning from a juvenile Yellowhead Wrasse.

I have no idea what this thing is.  Been looking through the Humann and DeLoach books, but I'm not finding him.

The tank had a nice fill and the water seemed warm.  I got 9 minutes on the first 208 psi when I descended and thought that I would likely make a two hour dive.  The water that seemed warm on the surface, however, was only 73 degrees on the bottom. I got cold. I began shivering at about 70 minutes and ended the dive 4 minutes shy of my 2-hour goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment