15 February 2012

Solo Diving the Fish Camp Rocks

Hard to get going this morning.  The last time I went to the beach was Friday the 10th.  I went with three students who gave in to panic and turned to face the waves standing up, so they could not get out.
The sea was much better this morning, but it was a  little chilly on the beach.  The water, too, seemed cold when I got in, but I ultimately adjusted and had a nice dive.
I swam out underwater and saw two Green turtles on the sand, then found the concrete blocks and headed to the Fish Camp Rocks, but somehow ended up over at the Perpendicular Rocks.  Just as well.   Spent most of the dive on the Big Coral Knoll and got some good pictures.
 Went out to the Fish Camp Rocks and got some pictures of this Townsend Angelfish.  He was cautious, but curious, as well, and it was fun to watch him gather up his courage then run from my bubbles.
 Found several Speckled Hermit Crabs and got some nice pictures of this one.  I was using the strobe, but it is still difficult to see the crab.
 Saw and shot several Seaweed Blennys like the fellow in this picture.  He let me get very close and seemed to be very curious about what I was and what I was doing.  Swam back to the beach from the Fish Camp Rocks.
 The little girl life guard got to the beach 15 minutes early, so I had to duck behind the dune and try to sneak out.  I raced out and forgot to turn my air on.  I noticed that right away when I descended.
 This time, I made the Fish Camp Rocks.  I found this rather large Sheepshead, who kept me company for much of the dive.
 I swam over to the Furry Rock.  The rock seems to be recovering.  It was in pretty bad shape earlier this winter.
 Found and photographed a nice Midnight Blue Parrotfish.
 and got some shots of the juvenile yellowtail damselfish on the Big Coral Knoll.
Also got some shots of a Neon Goby in mid-water.

The Lifeguards caught me at the shower and advised me that I should not dive alone.  We had a short discussion, but I pointed out that I was leaving the beach and would not be back until they had gone for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment