17 February 2012

Thee Dives off Tower 17

Nic wanted to make a navigation dive today, but I arranged to meet her at the beach at noon.  I got there early enough to make two solo dives before she got there.
 I decided to shoot super macro, so I used a +1 and a +4 diopter with the 100mm macro lens.   With the diopters, I had a lot of trouble with the strobe washing out the picture.  I finally set it to -2 rather than TTL and things worked better.
I spent most of my time on the sand, where I found a Sea Robbin and also found a Bluespotted Coronetfish.  I got pictures of the Sea Robbin, but did not get any pictures of the Coronetfish because I couldn't get close enough to focus with the diopters.
I went to the Big Coral Knoll and a Queen Angelfish who hung around while I got some shots.
 Also spotted a large and a small Green Sea Turtle.
I found a shot of a Smooth Trunkfish facing off against a Stoplight Parrotfish.
 I also got a nice shot of a Yellowtail Damselfish and an Ocean Surgeonfish over a Symmetrical Brain Coral.
 My best shots were of a Spotted Cleaner Shrimp on a Giant Anemone.
My second dive was similar.  I descended while still over the sand.  This time, however, the strobe did not work.  The connection was not good at the hot shoe.  .
I swam out to the Fish Camp Rocks and found a Nurse Shark laying on the Eastern edge of one of the Rocks.
 Swam over to the Furry Rock and got a good shot of an Atlantic Spadefish.
 I left the Furry Rock (Pillar Coral with extended polyps) and swam back to the beach to meet with Nicky for her navigation dive.  
Nicky  was a little late, but not much.  We waited a bit while she caught her wind, then geared up.  We swam out to the swim buoy.  She followed me through the square pattern, then she led me through and ended up only about 10 feet from where she started.  She was so focused on the compass, though, that she would have continued swimming on by if I had not stopped her.
We also made an out 'n back trip, then we headed back to the beach.  Along the way I found an Elegant Anemone and got a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment