19 May 2011

Finding the Ledge of Turtles

I entered through the main entry and swam to the reef keeping the power pole in the middle of the entry. Once on the reef, I was over what appears to be a railing from a small power boat half buried in the sand. From that mark, I swam out at 90 degrees. I found a hermit crab and got video of him coming out of the shell and righting it. I swam into and through a old staghorn coral forest. I turned South and found the Ledge of Turtles. There was a Hawksbill on site and I got some video. I also found a spotted moray eel bedded in the coral. Also found a Rock Hind and lots of other reef fish. Surfaced and got a bearing of 100 degrees to the main entry. Swam that bearing back to the beach.

My surface interval was short: just long enough to change tanks and then get back in quickly before the lifeguards showed up for work. Swam out to the reef and descended. Followed the same 100 degree bearing and found the Ledge of Turtles, but there were no turtles in evidence. I swam South a considerable distance and then back to the Ledge. Then I swam North even farther and returned to the Ledge and swam back at 280 degrees. First time I have been to the Ledge of Turtles and not seen a turtle. At least I found the place, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment