02 July 2019

Monday, 1 July 2019, 2nd OW Dive off Tower 4

During the surface interval, we discussed Stefano's buoyancy and gas consumption rate. He waved his arms while diving, which only increased his consumption rate. He seemed well-weighted, so I'm hoping that making him aware of it will permit him to stop it. 

The second dive was meant to perform the skills, so we swam on the surface to the buoy to descend, which Stefano did well. We went back over the Wrap Around Ledge,, over the rubble to the Rock Line and the tire, then to the Cresent Moon Rock and NE to the Barrel Sponges and the Staghorn Coral. We turned North at the Sectioned Rock and swam along the Swiss Cheese Reef but stopped at an open bit of sand creeping up to the reef.

Stefano and I went through the skills while Martha looked for shells. As in the pool yesterday, Stefano could not hover. We swapped weights, my 2-pound weights for his 3-pound weights. With only 8 pounds on, he could barely initiate a hover not unlike how I could hover carrying 12 pounds.

We continued North along the reef and found a small Purplemouth Moray Eel and lots of fish. We also spotted a lone Nurse Shark who cut back and forth across our line of travel twice. Wish I had the camera. I lost Stefano several times and would look right, then left then spot him immediately above me. I was a little concerned that he was light, but his trim was good. He again signaled that he was ready to turn the dive and we did. We surfaced just past the buoy line and swam in. I had to put air in my BCD to float. He floated naturally. Need to try hovering again.

The dive was 70 minutes and to a maximum depth of 19.8 feet.  My SAC remained virtually the same at 16.28 psi per minute and the RMV was 0.42 cubic feet per minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment