15 April 2015

Searching for the Plow Anchor

Got up early, but decided against any night dives, so I waited and got to the beach a little before 8:00 am. It does not look as if any work was done tearing down the Tortuga Music Festival. Only the North 1/3 of the parking lot is open. The beach was worked over, but the ocean is full of beer cans and bottles. Great. What a waste of time and effort. Looked kind of bumpy, so I decided not to take the camera. I swam out to the swim buoy and descended. I spotted a Green Sea Turtle tucked up under the reef and swam over to look. The turtle was calm, but pulled back to stick its head up and watch me. I headed NE, just picking my way along the bottom looking for shells and hoping to locate the anchor. I was North of where I should have been, almost all the way to the Marriot Courtyard. I did not find the anchor, but saw lots of reef fish.

Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; dive time was 40 minutes; consumption rate was 26.43 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet and my SAC rate was 16.77 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

Descended to 24 feet at the end of my 5-minute surface interval. Thought about swimming South, but decided to drift with the current and maybe swim West, too, looking for more shells, and I found a huge Gaudy Natica, among many other shells. went far enough North that I found the roped umbrella bases. I did not find the anchor. Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; dive time was 40 minutes; consumption rate was 24.40 psi/minute at an average depth of 22 feet and my SAC rate was 14.64 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment