22 May 2014

Solo Dive on the Big Coral Knoll

Got to the beach around 8:45 am and was in the water swimming out to the blocks by 9:15 am.  Got over the blocks, but could not see them from the surface.  Went down right on them, set up and started up the gun sight. Had some trouble finding the Cigar Rock, but finally got it, then went straight to the Gray Mid--way Rock and then North to the Perpendicular Rocks, the Swept Rock and the Knoll.

Got a shot of two French Grunts fighting, if indeed that's what this is.
Got a close up shot of the Cymothoid Isopod affixed to this Doctorfish.  According to Humann, the cymothoids begin life as 1/8th inch long, free swimming males which attach to the heads of fish.  Once attached, they lose the ability to swim, remain attached for life and "benignly scavenge" food from the water.
This Juvenile creole Wrasse was on the Knoll, but passed by several times to let me get a shot.
The Hawksbill Sea Turtle was foraging for food and the Angelfish and wrasse were looking for scraps.
 Gotta love the Redband Parrotfish with there built in smile.
This little Blenny has been on the Irish Thighs rock for about a week now.  He's used to me taking his picture.
This Purplemouth Moray Eel was a bit off the Knoll, but close by.


After cruising the Knoll a few times, I went back to the beach the same way I came and I spotted each of the landmarks.  Then I hung out at the blocks until I got to 400 psi and I headed for the Sea Rod and then the beach.  Went up at 132 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment