28 January 2012

Solo Diving off the Pelican Grand

 Luis could make only one dive and it was after 10:00 when we got to the truck, so I moved up to the Pelican Grand to get in the water away from the evil eyes of the life guards.  I spent some time fixing the camera and checking to see that the strobe would fire, then got in the water.  I swam out to the reef and headed South.  I got some shots, but again, the strobe would not fire.  I have no idea why.
 I set the camera up for natural light and got some pictures anyway.   I followed the edge of the reef South to my old marker for the Ledge of Turtles.  The railing is no longer there.  The red sponge is no longer there.  All that remains is the base of the sponge and a small pile of rocks where the railing used to be.  Its enough.  
 I headed out at 120 degrees and found a Pederson Shrimp on a Corkscrew Anemone just as I got on top of the ledge.

 
I was worried because I never saw the mid-way rocks, but then I noticed a small school of Porkfish to the SW and swam over to investigate and found the Ledge of Turtles.  On the South side of the Ledge I found a Giant Anemone and this Spotted Cleaner Shrimp.
 I also found a Rock Hind who was both curious about me and afraid of me.
There were two Green Turtles, a large one and a very small one.  I got some pictures, but they were spooked and kept me at a distance.
I went back to the beach at 300 degrees and found the mid-way rocks.  I was not far off on the way up, but in poor visibility, it was enough to miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment