23 July 2019

Tuesday, 23 July 2019 4th Open Water Dive on the Fish Camp Rocks



During our surface interval, Johnny got lunch and we discussed the 6 table problems. He took and passed the table quiz and the table final. This was his 4th open water dive. We geared up using the same tanks we used on our first dive. Johnny had used my air on the alternate air source ascent, so we both had 1600 psi left. We swam on the surface past the buoy line and descended.

Schoolmaster (Lutjanus apodus) 





I headed due East hoping to catch sight of the Big Coral Knoll, which I did.  Not much life on the knoll, however, so we headed South to the Fish Camp Rocks, where we saw lots of French, Smallmouth, Bluestriped and Spanish Grunts as well as various parrotfish and Some Schoolmasters.


French Grunt (Haemulon flavolineatum)

















Spanish Grunt (Haemulon macrostomum) 










Bluestriped Grunt (Haemulon sciurus) 













Gray Snapper (Lutjanus griseus) 
















Initial Phase Redband Parrotfish (Sparisoma aurofrenatum) 







Johnny signaled that he was down to 800 psi, so I turned the dive and we headed for the beach. Johnny carried 8 pounds but was light. He had to swim to stay down and was blowing through a lot of air.




Spotted Goatfish (Pseudupeneus maculatus) 




 I signaled that he should use my alternate air source, which he did. He hung on my BCD and I picked up a rock to assist with our buoyancy. He was high and to my right, so we could each kick unimpeded. I watched my gas pressure fall to less than 200 psi as we got to the buoy line.




Hogfish (Lachnolaimus maximus) 



I signaled that we should surface and we did. We then swam to the beach on the surface.


Bottom time was  42 minutes with a maximum depth of 210.2 feet. My SAC was 23.34 psi/min and my RMV was 0.6 ft3/min, though those numbers were inflated by Johnny breathing on my tank for the last 5 - 10 minutes of the dive.








No comments:

Post a Comment