26 May 2019


Tuesday, 14 May 2019

Martha and I dive the Swiss Cheese Reef

Orange Spotted Filefish (Cantherhines pullus)

I woke Martha up at 6:00 am and she got ready to dive. We left the apartment about 6:45 am. in order to get over the Causeway Bridge before it opens to boat traffic at 7:00 am. I thought Bob might dive this morning, but we didn't see him at all. Did meet a fellow named Paul McDermott who claims to be a professional photographer. We exchanged cards but I don't know if we will ever dive together.





Martha and I said goodbye to Paul and headed for the beach. We walked into the water and continued walking for quite a ways before finning up. We got to the buoy off Tower 4 and descended at 7:47 am. Headed East to the Wrap Around Ledge, where I found the Orange Spotted Filefish (above) and the Juvenile Threespot Damselfish to the right.



Butter Hamlet (Hypoplectrus unicolor)




We circled around the ledge then swam across the Rubble to the Rock-line. We went North along the Rock-line to the tire, except I never found the tire. Probably got set to the North. We followed the edge of the sand flat up to the rubble and I spotted and photographed the Butter Hamlet on the left.


Nurse Shark (Ginglymostoma cirratum)




We missed the Barrel Sponges but found the Staghorn Coral and made it up to the Sectioned Rock. The Giant Anemone that has been behind that rock is nowhere to be found. We turned North and swam to the end of the reef
where I spotted and photographed the Nurse Shark to the right.

Atlantic Spadefish (Chaetodipterus faber)






We turned West and a little South and swam over unfamiliar reef.to get back to Tower 4. A small school of Atlantic Spadefish passed over us. I swam after them but only got this shot of a single member of that school.




Atlantic Guitarfish (Rhinobatos lentiginosus)






Did a little better on air this morning.  Dive time was 131 minutes, maximum depth was 19.6 feet and the bottom temperature was 80.8 degrees.  My SAC was 15.00 psi/minute and my RMV was 0.39 cubic feet per minute.

My pictures of this dive can be seen at the following link:  14 May 2019_Swiss Cheese Reef









.

No comments:

Post a Comment