26 May 2019



Tuesday, 21 May 2019

Martha and I dive the Yankee Clipper Jacks




Martha and I left the apartment at 6:47 am and got to the South Beach parking lot at 7:00 am, though I had to go around twice as I forgot that to dive the Jacks I needed to park behind Tower 2. We geared up and walked to the water by 7:30 am and swam out to the Jacks or at least where I thought they were by 8:00am.







We swam on a 100-degree bearing by holding the parking lot light on the South edge of the red chimney on the wall of the fire station on the West side of A1A. I watched as we swam over the reef and that we went over three separate tiers. At that point, we descended just past two jacks at 8:12 am.




Rainbow Parrotfish (Scarus guacamaia)

Black Margate (Anisotremus surinamensis)


We continued swimming East for 15 minutes and should have seen several clusters of 2 to 4 Jacks and then been able to see the beginning of the Jacks, but we didn't. Because there was a mild North current at the surface, I assumed we had gotten set to the North and needed to swim South to find the Jacks. So that is what we did, but after 10 minutes we still had found no more Jacks.





 I went up after another 10 munites to check our position and decided we should head North. Martha pointed out two free-standing Jacks, which only bolstered my decision to head North. We did and we found the Jacks almost 10 minutes later.







We each got on a separate side of the Jacks and swam NE. Seemed to me I was using more air than usual, but the RMV told a different story. At 69 minutes into the dive, I was down to 1525 psi but my RMV was 0.31 cubic feet per minute.
Juvenile Creole Wrasse (Clepticus parrae)











We continued swimming out for a little longer,
during which I spotted and photographed the Juvenile Creole Wrasse on the right.







Small School of Porkfish (Anisotremus virginicus)



I  spotted and photographed the small school of Porkfish on the left.










Midnight Parrotfish (Scarus coelestinus) 


I turned the dive at 1200 psi and 72 minutes.  On the way back I spotted and photographed this Midnight Parrotfish on the right




and the Initial Phase Queen Parrotfish below.
Initial Phase Queen Parrotfish (Scarus vetula)



We got off the Jacks at about 90 minutes and with a little over 1,000 psi in my tank.


As we swam West to the beach, Martha signaled that I should follow her and see what she wanted to show me. I did, and I was glad that I did. .


Lesser Electric Ray (Narcine brasiliensis)



Martha had spotted a Lesser Electric Ray fully exposed on the sand and rubble over which we were swimming. I took lots of pictures.


Lesser Electric Ray (Narcine brasiliensis)










Dive time was 109 minutes, bottom temperature was 80.6 degrees, maximum depth was 26.5 ft. My SAC was 16.83 psi/minute and my RMV was 0.43 cubic feet per minute. Need to calm down some more and get some more landmarks so I can find the Jacks when I want to.

My pictures are posted at the following link:
21 May 2019_Yankee Clipper Jaces





No comments:

Post a Comment