13 May 2015

Night Diving off Catamaran Beach

Stayed home Monday and Tuesday editing pictures and catching up this blog. Monday brought thunderstorms, but Tuesday could have been a good day to dive. I just didn't want to.

Wednesday, I was late getting to the beach, but then the tank I picked held only 2500 psi, so late was not a problem. The water was warm: 80 degrees. East wind, but not terrible and only a little current. Descended at the swim buoy. Spotted a Green Sea Turtle under the ledge. No pictures, didn't bring my camera. Would the turtle have been there if I had brought the camera? Spotted a Tube Dwelling Anemone, then a Purplemouth Moray Eel and then another anemone. Then it was 40 minutes and I went up.

Bottom temperature was 80 degrees; maximum depth was 25 feet; dive time was 43 minutes and my SAC rate was 16 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

When I ascended, I found I was North one building. Decided to head back to Tower 4 along a WSW bearing. Missed the staghorn coral, but found several moonsail shells and a little Scotch Bonnet, which I picked up but then apparently dropped from my BCD pocket. I ended up swimming over the kind of algae patch off Tower 2 and may have been close. I finally hit white sand and started pushing North. I came up in 10 feet of water North of the pedestrian bridge and even with the basketball courts. Kicked a little harder swimming in and got to the corner so I made a straight shot to the shower.

Bottom temperature was 80 degrees; maximum depth was 24 feet; dive time was 44 minutes and y SAC rate was 16.1 psi/minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment