14 May 2015

Diving with a Small Stingray and a Spanish Lobster off Catamaran Beach

Left for the beach at 5:10 am. Parked, geared up and got in the water. Swam on the surface to the swim buoy and descended. Headed East from there, but the current set me to the North some.

I took the Cree light with a new battery. The bright light attracted the little Southern Atlantic Stingray and I hope I got pictures. Got some other shots, as well. Then it was 40 minutes and I surfaced.

Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; maximum depth was 24 ft; dive time was 40 minutes and my SAC rate was 19.15 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.


Swam South during the surface interval, then descended to 24 feet and swam to almost 26 feet. Decided to find the Swiss Cheese Reef and get some pictures. Had to go farther West than I expected, but I got there. Floated along shooting the fish and looking for Fighting Grunts, but didn't see any.

I did see this Scrawled Cowfish, which was also attracted to the light. I got this shot.

I also got this shot of a little Sharpnose Puffer snuggled up on the reef.

I came up at about 1000 psi.

Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; Maximum depth was 26 feet; dive time was 35 minutes and my SAC rate was 17.50 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.




Dropped down in about 24 feet and started swimming WSW. I took some pictures but was concerned about making it inside of the swim area, so I wasn't really fussy.  I did get this shot of a Hogfish.


I swam by the Swiss Cheese Reef and then spent some time on the sand flats before crossing a small reeflet and getting to the white sand.

Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; maximum depth was 24 feet; dive time was 31 minutes and my SAC rate was 17.84 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

Had a little challenge with my balance getting out of the water once I got to the beach. I wrung out my wetsuits and set them up to dry in the sun. I was chilled, and the wind was not helping. The sun was warm and I need about 2 hours to get ready for another dive.

I got back in the water and swam out to the swim buoy to descend. went by the blocks and let the current take me North while I swam slowly East. Took lots of pictures, including the Sand Diver to the Right and the Spanish Lobster below.

I tried to find and follow that ledge, but kept losing it. Got on the sand flat with the shells and spent some time looking for another big Gaudy Natica, but there were none to find today. Swam out to deep water and drifted back across the Swiss Cheese Reef taking pictures. Nice slow pleasant dive.

Took my time going back to the beach. Ended up South of the swim buoy off Tower 4, but not bad positioning. The undertow was strong and I had a hard time staying up between it pulling on me and the waves hitting me from behind, but I finally made it out.

Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; maximum depth was 23 feet; dive time was 142 minutes and my SAC rate was 15.08 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment