03 April 2015

More Night Diving off Catamaran Beach

Got the the parking lot just before 5:00 am and parked in the North lot at the entry way behind Tower 4. Geared up and got in the water. Descended well before the swim buoy on the white sand since I am not very familiar with this part of the beach. Headed out due East. I expected a lot of flat sand area and some 24-25 ft water, but was mostly in 19 feet of water.

White sand to patch reef to shallow reef and some interesting and well protected deeper trenches. Not a lot of sea life, however. Couple of anemones, including this Banded Tube Dwelling Anemone.



 This Sand Diver,


and this Shrimp.


No Bluespotted Coronetfish or other large fish.

I surfaced after 40 minutes to find that I was way North of where I thought I was. Spent the entire surface interval swimming South to get East of the Bahia Mar hotel building.

Bottom temperature was 75 degrees; dive time was 40 minutes; consumption was 26.94 psi/minute at an average depth of 16 feet and my SAC rate was 18.15 psi/minute.


Descended to 24 feet after my surface swim and continued heading South until I got to 1400 psi, then I turned West and headed back to the beach.

Found this Purplemouth Moray Eel and got a photograph.
Also got some nice shots of this Smooth Trunkfish, who was temporarily stunned by the strobe and then turned to give me a better angle.



Seemed to take forever to get to the beach. I had over compensated and was off Tower 2 when I surfaced, so I secured the flagline and headed for Tower 4. Wind was with me, as was the current, so it didn't take too long to get there. Getting out was a bit of a challenge. I was cold and my legs did not want to work. I took my time and made it just fine.


Bottom temperature was 75 degrees; dive time was 62 minutes; consumption rate was 26.66 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet and my SAC was 16.92 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment