23 April 2015

Night Diving off Catamaran Beach early in the morning

It was difficult getting up this morning. I slept too much yesterday morning and afternoon, and I had a hard time sleeping last night. Nonetheless, I got to the beach, set up my gear and got in the water. I descended on the sand before the reef and before the swim buoy. I thought I would swim out to the buoy and then head North past the blocks and then NE. Instead, I swam North well past the Marriott. I was in about 12 feet of water for much of the way and nothing looked familiar.

Got this shot of a Gray Angelfish,
as well as this shot of a French Angelfish,
and this shot of a Townsend Angelfish, just to round things out.


Finally, I focused on heading East and made it to 19.5 ft at 60 minutes. I took a few pictures, but not many. It was pretty quiet on the reef.


Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; dive time was 60 minutes; consumption was 27.65 psi/minute at an average depth of 14 feet and my SAC rate was 19.41 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.



When I got to the surface, I saw that I was North of the Marriott so I spent the surface interval swimming South and East. I descended to just shy of 20 ft and began swimming SW. I got into familiar territory and found a large coral head with a number fish swimming.

I also spotted a Sailfin Blenny who was greeting the morning and other Blennies with a little dance and a waive of his fin.









Spotted a number of Caribbean Reef Squid and got some pictures, including these two shots.


I began to wonder if I had enough gas to make it to the beach, so I closed up the camera and concentrated on heading SW. I surfaced at 750 psi to see that I was still a ways from Tower 4, and again at 500 psi. But I made it back to the swim buoy, just was the swim buoy to the North of the one I wanted. So I had a little surface swim to get back to my beach.

Bottom temperature was 78 degrees; dive time was 52 minutes; consumption was 22.62 psi/minute at an average depth of 14 feet and my SAC rate was 15.88 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.



No comments:

Post a Comment