11 March 2015

Another Dive on the Yankee Clipper Jacks

Got to the beach a little after 8:00 am. Surf was up, but manageable. Decided against taking the camera. The wind was lighter than predicted and at least one surfer was taking a wave just South of me as I headed out. I swam out to the swim buoy and decided to go down there. I let the current take me North of the swim buoy before descending, then headed East to the sand and, I thought, the sand East of the 3-tiered reef. I found several shells and I picked up one Moonsail shell that was distinctly decorated in black and while. Unfortunately that shell was not in my pocket when I got back to the truck, leaving me to wonder if I really saw it at all. It could have dropped out of my pocket as I put another shell in. Anyway, I got to 25 ft of water and came up after 52 minutes.

Water temperature was 75 degrees; dive time was 52 minutes; consumption was 26.29 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet; SAC rate was 16.68 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

During the surface interval, I looked to see if the Lifeguards were in their towers, and I think they were, suggesting that they opened up before 9:30 am. Bad for me. After 5 minutes, I descended to 25 feet and headed SW. I was burning through air faster than the first dive and I was still North of the Jacks. Left the 3-tiered reef at 1100 psi and got within sight of the white sand by 500 psi. Tripped 40 minutes and I launched on the surge to the beach. Two minutes later I was in 8 feet of water and decided to surface, control the flagline and swim in. I got my fins off in chest deep water, but was getting pushed to the shore and shallow water. The undertow was substantial and took my feet out from under me in about 2 feet of water. I went down, rolled on the tank then onto my side and pushed back to water deep enough to get back on my feet. Second time I was a little more together and actually got up the ledge and onto to the beach.

Water temperature was 75 degrees; dive time was 42 minutes; consumption was 33.05 psi/minute at an average depth of 17 feet; SAC rate was 21.81 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment