21 June 2011

Solo Diving in the Staghorn Coral Forest off Tower 19

I decided to dive on the Staghorn Coral Forest off Tower 19. There was a light breeze out of the SE and no surf. I swam out and found a North moving current. I swam along the Northern edge of the forest looking for the concrete block and medieval coral racks as well as the scientific testing station (aka space station). I found the concrete blocks and I found the space station, but I can't tell you where one is located in relation to the other. I never saw the medieval racks. I did find a little Red Reef Hermit Crab, a huge Sand Diver, a Two Spot Cardinalfish and a Banded Coral Shrimp.

The current died down, but the visibility got markedly worse. There was a haze over everything. Nonetheless, I swam out as before and went to the Eastern edge of the reef. I came back looking for and found the concrete block racks, but nothing else. Got pictures of a blue hamlet in the coral, who was very cooperative. I also got some shots of a striped burrfish, but try as I might, I could not get a picture of its face.

No comments:

Post a Comment