26 July 2020

20200726_SE of the Swiss Cheese Reef


I got up early to walk the dog and email Leo and Luis. We met at 8:00 am at the parking lot behind Tower 4. We geared up and went in about 8:25 am. We swam on the surface East from the first berm and descended at 8:49 am well past the buoy line. 

Spotted this Purplemouth Moray Eel (Gymnothorax vicinus) on the bottom when we descended. 


I also watched as this Bar Jack (Caranx ruber) hunted with the eel. The eel would chase prey out of the crevices and the Bar Jack would swoop down for the kill.

Leo offered to let me try his external macro lens and I was eager to do so. The external macro lens screws onto the camera lens housing so you can shoot macro for part of the dive then remove the external macro lens and shoot without the macro lens the rest of the time. This is handy since it was almost impossible to shoot fish in motion with the external lens attached. Here is one of the macro shots I got of a Flamingo Tongue on a Sea fan.  



I got this shot of a small Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) with the external macro lens removed. 

We continued swimming East but never passed any landmarks I recognized. When I hit 1500 psi, I turned the dive and we swam SW and came to the Rock Line. 

Got this shot of a Hogfish (Lachnolaimus maximus) as we came to the Southern end of the Rock Line.  From there we swam West through the Wrap Around Ledge and then to the beach. 

 Martha  and I surfaced at 10:42 am. The waves on the beach were not as forceful as they had been at the beginning of the dive. Louis took the flag from Martha and helped her exit the water. Leo and I simply walked out, though Leo was considerable faster than I was. 

Our Dive time was 113 minutes at a maximum depth of 23.5 feet. My AC was 22.74 psi/minute; my SAC was 14.72 psi/minute and my Residual Minute Volume was .38 cubic feet per minute. 




 








No comments:

Post a Comment