18 August 2019

Sunday, 18 August 2019, 4th Open Water Dive

During our almost 2-hour surface interval, Andreina took her final exam for the second time. This time she passed missing only 3 questions.

On that happy note, we geared up and got in the water. We swam out past the buoy line and descended where I hoped to find the blocks, but they were not there. We headed East looking for landmarks.

Spotted Trunkfish (Lactophrys bicaudalis)


I photographed a Spotted Trunkfish after about 15 minutes.

Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) 

I saw a small Green Sea Turtle about 5 minutes after seeing the Trunkfish. She looked like she was just waking up. .
Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) 

She glanced over at me and then raced away. I didn't even try to keep pace with her.







Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) 




As we continued swimming across the Big Coral Knoll, we came upon a much larger Green Sea Turtle who was also just waking up.








Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) 

 This turtle swam slowly right next to me as the Andreina and Evan caught up with us. She seemed quite happy to swim along with us.


Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) 



I got this great closeup of the turtle as Evan came towards us. She did not seem threated by me or the camera. I had no strobe.





Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) 








I got this great shot of Even directly in back of the turtle as we swam along the Big Coral Knoll.

 These two Green Sea Turtles were the star of the dive, but there were a lot of other fish to see.





Gray Angelfish (Pomacanthus arcuatus)


This Gray Angelfish, for instance, swam with us for a short while and seemed unafraid of us.








Ballyhoo (Hemiramphus brasiliensis) 


 These Ballyhoo seem to hang in the first few feet from the surface and travel in larger schools.



Bottom time was 86 minutes  at a maximum depth of 20.4 feet. My Surface Air Consumption rate was 16.02 psi/minute and the Residual Minute Volume was 0.41 cubic feet/minute.





No comments:

Post a Comment