05 April 2015

Looking for the Anchor in all the wrong places

Although I woke up early, I just did not want to race to the beach and make a night dive. I have a hard time tracking my location. Just as well, as Luis texted me to let me know he was ill and would not be diving this morning. I decided to head to the beach at 8:00 am and try to locate the anchor I saw yesterday morning.

I took both the SMB and my lift bag just in case I did find it. Swam on the surface out to the swim buoy, then headed ENE and got to the the area we dove with Leo yesterday. I tried to cover the area in an organized fashion, but since I have no landmarks underwater, I was going to be spending a lot of time at the surface, so I opted to just look around. Maybe I can get Leo and Luis to help with an organized search. Or maybe I can learn the area and  use underwater landmarks rather than hotels on the beach.

I got some pictures, like the Gray Angelfish above, and this Gaudy Natica.

 Got this shot of a Hogfish,
 this shot of an Orange Spotted Filefish
 and this shot of a Rough File Clam.

What I did not find was the anchor.






Bottom temperature was 76 degrees; dive time was 63 minutes; consumption was 23.62 psi/minute at an average depth of 18 feet and my SAC rate was 15.28 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.


I closed up the camera on this second dive, and focused on my search of the plow anchor. I descended to 26 feet and started working my way along the West side of a sand corridor. Problem is that I found the anchor in 20 ft of water and off of the Marriot Courtyard. While I do not know what the tides were yesterday, I'm guessing they aren't 6 ft higher this morning. So I decided I was looking in the wrong place and moved West to find shallower water. It didn't help. I ended up just swimming into the beach.

Bottom temperature is 76 degrees; dive time was 55 minutes; consumption was 24.58 psi/minute at an average depth of 19 feet and my SAC rate was 15.60 psi/minute on an aluminum 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment