22 July 2014

Two Lovely Solo Dives on the Big Coral Knoll

Got to the beach early, but still difficult to get in the water before the sun comes up.  Moved slowly to the algae patch trying to get 10 minutes in the first 600 psi. Got 'em.  Made 32 minutes at 2500 psi.  Sun came up, but lots of clouds.  Still dark under water.  Went out to the reef and found the blocks, then up the gun sight and to the Big Coral Knoll.  Looked for but didn't find the squid.  Made several trips around the Knoll taking pictures.

Like this shot of a Bluestriped Grunt looking at me with just a touch of contempt.












This Blue Tang was curious, but cautious, as well.








This Spotted Goatfish is usually the ivory color with dark spots.












when he sleeps or gets relaxed, however, he takes on a reddish hue.












Lots of these Christmastree Worms along the edge of the Knoll.




I headed back to the beach at 900 psi. Stopped at the blocks and then headed for the Sea Rod, but couldn't find it.  Went to the beach.

Dive Time was 141 minutes; RMV was 0.35 ft3/minute.






First dive was long, so I changed tanks and swallowed a cup of coffee then swam out out past the swim buoy to complete my surface interval beyond the reach of the Life Guards. Got to 46 minutes and decided that was long enough.  I descended at the Sea Rod.  Swam out to the blocks and then to the Knoll.  Got pictures.


I found all five of the squid, but it happened quickly and I was low on air.  They were just off the Knoll to the East and came swimming by me to the South.


 Got some nice shots of this cooperative Bluespotted Coronetfish.

Also got some pictures of a Hairy Blenny with a Goldentail Moray Eel photo bombing the Blenny.  I didn't see it at the time, but caught it in post-processing. Another instance of being too focused on my shot and missing the scene.

Got some shots of this Yellowline Arrow Crab by the rectangular rock just North of the blocks.



Dive time was 160 minutes; RMV was 0.37 ft3 per minute. I usually slow down on my second dive, so I'm not certain what happened here.

No comments:

Post a Comment